View Single Post
Old 10-25-10, 06:46 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stopher87
I think I need to adjust my seat forward a little because I sit on, for lack of a better word, my 'taint' a lot. That might be something to consider.

So I guess what I am asking is is there a saddle that is comfortable without suspension that is guaranteed not to hit my coccyx bone that I can ride short and long distances comfortably?
There's no single saddle that's going to work for everyone, so you'll get a ton of different answers to that question.

What you need to look at doing is changing your riding position so you're not sitting on soft tissues (perenium) and properly supporting yourself on your sit bones (ischial tuberosity). It's going to take some getting used to, but propping yourself on the appropriate parts will make for a far less painful ride.

As for saddles, I prefer a Brooks B-17 Imperial, or B-17 Champion Standard. It's fairly wide in the back and supports my bone structure in my particular riding position which is similar to yours: Bars 1.5" lower than the saddle, and I ride mostly on the hoods. The unpadded, suspended leather gives enough to be comfortable but supports enough that I'm not having excessive contact issues.