Old 10-25-10, 11:34 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously practicing climbing is a key... 8 - 9 % is not that steep in terms of either road of MTB climbing especially if the trail is smooth like the one pictured above (I would love something like that - ours are all rocky, rutty, snady - just gnarly). The key, don't "attack" the climb... 1) pulling yourself forward in the saddle - you almost want the tip of the saddle at... well trying to be delicate here - at the exit part of your body (if you get my drift). I diagree with SStorkel on not being forward - however you don't want to lean forward you want your body positioned forward (so sitting normal but pulled forward on the saddle). Too much weight back causes the wheel to spin out). Your stroke needs to be steady and smooth (sometimes I have to tell myself "right, left, right, left... just to keep the cadence consistent). With your body over the handlebar and a steady smooth stroke, the bike will stop pulling up and bouncing out of control. Air pressure is also key. I don't know your trails but I don't usually run more than 40 psi, maybe 35, in my tires. Anything higher, you will be bouncing...

I'm jealous the trail looks lovely. Have fun and remember, in mountain biking it is ok to walk up hills... even pros do it!!!

Here's a good article to read:

http://mountainbikeriding.com/how-to...bike-climbing/

The article says "Position on the bike: I find that sitting up [not leaning] and sliding forward on the saddle helps my breathing and improves my view of what is coming up in the trail. It is also a more comfortable position on the bike, and hey for climbing…..…we need all the comfort we can get!"

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 10-25-10 at 11:42 AM.