Thread: What bike?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-10, 04:42 PM
floridabiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is a ridiculous question but, on an entry level mountain bike probably 26" wheels, SPD clipless MTB pedals, with two rear panniers loaded for a 5 day, but LIGHT trip what should i expect to average (or a minimum) pace do you think that two people could handle on flat pavement. Both of us are in high school and we are both pretty fit.

I really just need to make sure that if we end up on MTBs (which are probably the least efficient) that we can do the 80 miles in one day.

I'm thinking we could definitely handle a 10-12 MPH average but maybe i'm wrong...just looking for some estimates that someone could throw at me

And if we go the MTB route should i just pick up some slicks since it will not really be "mountain biking" and that should help with making the bike the most efficient? Any other suggestions that are relatively cheap?

Thanks a lot for the comments..really a good confidence builder that people actually think it can be done and this isn't just one of my silly dreams blown way out of proportion lol