View Single Post
Old 10-25-10, 10:24 PM
$pecial

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Revenio 3.0, 2009 Jamis Sputnik,1988 Trek 820, 1991 Specialized Sirrus (purchased new in 1992), 1997 Gary Fisher Mamba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1991 road bike brake upgrade

I have a Specialized Sirrus from 1991 that I want to upgrade the brakes. Long story short, I have the original pads and the brakes were horribly noisy since brand new. I road the bike for a few years and dealt with it and then stopped biking for about 11 years, due to history of accidents, and the fact that i never got excited about this bike. Well I dusted it off this summer and tuned it up found out the rear hub wasn't put together tightly, the BB was not put together completely and put new tape on and now I'm loving it. Although it is to big (one other reason i disliked it) and now I'm probably selling it. I had two different mechanics attempt to adjust the brakes to remove the noise, but we've concluded it may just be crappy pads. well, i found a set of calipers from a 2010 Trek 1.5 for the same price as new pads. They are Promax

My current Dia Compe calipers

the new dual pivot calipers

My question is about the mounting stem. The front stem of the new one is longer than i need since the trek has a nice thick carbon fork. I assume i could simply replace it with a similar, shorter bolt. The main question is about disassembly, Is it ok to remove that bolt on the pivot arm blocking the stem (I also have to remove the small adjustment screw that holds the arms together)? Then, once that is removed is there any concern with the spring when i go to replace the mounting stem?

Last edited by $pecial; 10-25-10 at 11:56 PM.