View Single Post
Old 10-27-10, 03:05 PM
spinninwheels
aspiring island dweller

Bikes: Easy Racers GRR, Cannondale T-2000/Rohloff Custom, Cannondale R-700, Custom Fixie/Single Speed, Santa Cruz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
...All over BF, even in the Commuting forum, you get the message that you need to wear something with a chamois. That clipless shoes are the more efficient way to go. That Louis Garneau wind stopper fabrics are the only way you will survive the winter wind...

Mostly I only wear what I consider to be "safety" bike clothing like screaming green/yellow tee shirts and jackets. (And a helmet and gloves.)

Reason I ask this is that I suspect a lot of people would seriously consider riding a bike, but they are seriously put off by the clothing cyclists wear.
If you're looking at newbie commuters, there may be that pressure to go with tech fabrics, chamois shorts, etc, etc. But if we, as slightly more seasoned cyclists, impart pertinent information with respect to attire, maybe they wouldn't be put off.

I'm sure that there are many here who don't wear lycra/chamois stuff. I don't. Not even when I tour. I used to when I toured. But after getting my first Brooks I didn't feel the need anymore. And I know that there are a lot of cyclists who feel the same way.

Someone that I met here on the island, who also is a cyclist, talked about trying to get people out of their cars and onto bicycles. He mentioned about what winter/rain gear one would need to be able to give it a go. He thought about writing an article for one of the island papers about exactly this topic. Lycra never came up. What did: good jacket, descent footwear, fenders and a reliable bike.

I'm partial to clipless shoes, good rain gear, glasses with take-a-look mirror, gloves, wool and helmet while on the mother island. In the summer time it's regular shorts, and in cooler weather I wear 3/4 length pants.

When I was still in TO, if I had to go somewhere somewhat dressed up, I was on my fixie with toe clips, which allowed me to wear dress shoes.

I think that biggest thing that we can do to get more people on bikes, is to set an example that it can be done, however you want to dress.