Old 10-28-10, 01:01 PM
Steve Katzman
Cat 6

Bikes: Scott CR-1, Serotta Legend, Serotta CR, Co-Motion Speedster tandem, Masi Nuevo Strada fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nerobro
TL;DR: What is the Nipple seat diameter for Sun Vista Cruiser rims.

Howdy everyone,

I am about to embark on my first (and likely second) wheel building adventure. With the goal of building some light tubular wheels.

I bought two sets of rims, and a set of hubs. The extra rims was me geting anxious on ebay... but we'll come back to that.

Having both rims and hubs is nice, but I'd like to attach one to the other. That requires spokes, and the use of a spoke calculator.

I have digital calipers, and I am good at measuring things. So I have my new hubs measured. However, my calipers cant' do deep inside measurements, nor are they 700mm wide. So how do I properly measure the diameter of the spoke nipple seating surface? Without use of the wheel-smith rim measuring tool?

As for what I bought, I bought Novatec hubs. Coming in at 114g and 377g respectively, front and rear. And I bought Sun Vista Cruiser rims. Both are 32 hole. So far, between the hubs and rims I am up to 1141g. Not bad really. And if I am lucky, I'll be under 1450g for the wheels.

Now, I also accidentally won a set of rims off of ebay. Sravedra Tubular track rims. They're less than 300g each! By luck, the wheels on my track bike are 36 hole, like the rims, so I might just rebuild those wheels for tubular use.

I'd like whatever advice you can give a noob. :-)
Sheldon Brown to the rescue! http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

Look about 2/3 down the page. You will need a couple of spokes and nips (almost any length will do, even mismatched)

Good luck!