View Single Post
Old 10-28-10, 05:11 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I went from Cannondale Aluminum to Giant CF (OCR-C). After two and a half seasons on Carbon, I can tell you I actually think hard before taking out one of the alloy bikes. I added a CF seat post to the Cannondale and that helped, but it is no match for the Giant. I also obtained a used carbon LeMond. It too is way more comfortable than the Cannondale. I tried another Cannondale, an 03 R400. It's not much better than the older Cannondale. Any ride over 50 miles and I ride a carbon bike (1st choice) or steel (2nd choice). I won't ride alloy over 50 miles.
Along the way I picked up a steel Bianchi Campione. It rides very smooth, very comfortable, but the additional weight does take a toll. For ride comfort I'll go with either steel or carbon. I'm seriously thinking of selling one of the two Cannondales I have because I don't think I'll be riding it much.
In summary, IMHO go carbon.