Old 10-29-10, 06:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Hah!
We can scale back the pace or distance for oldness or decrepitude but not both. Metrowest has age and, ah, weathering but those features are tourist attractions on buildings, cobblestone streets and cow tunnels. I think your 62 thing may be "patina." It is envied and admired and like oxidation on a musket barrel or fine old axe, have nothing to do with function.
I've heard those of use who do the best are those who deny limitations or change in goals and expectations until they can no longer achieve them. At that point change goals, recalibrate and start to rail against and deny any age related limitations.
My take away is MetroWest ought to deny any loss of competitiveness with other parts of the world and rail against ...just rail. Anyone claiming to have a better place to ride is wrong.
I deny or don't remember anyone passing me and I catch up to and pass those in front of me, pretty sure.
Originally Posted by jimmuller
sbp, I am humbly honored by your eloquence.

Now I feel obligated to be a rusty gun barrel or at least the son of a gun. Or maybe a cow tunnel. However age has not yet withered me and if (I do not say "when") it does I shall certainly rail.

You are right about the patina of MetroWest, indeed of Boston in general. Would that we all age as gracefully...
Hi guys,

While I haven't posted here much lately, I still lurk. Let me second that emotion--an excellent essay by sbp, and "patina" is the mot juste. I'm pretty avid on the Fifty Plus Forum, but I never see you guys there. Occasionally threads about aging do come up, and when an appropriate one occurs I'd like to post a link to sbp's comments if you don't mind.

Jim