Thread: Central Park
View Single Post
Old 10-29-10, 07:30 AM
runningDoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
just like central park, the traffic on the greenway is dependent on the time you're riding it. I commute from east williamsburg to columbia university area (through williamsburg/bridge/soho/west village/hudson/UWS) and if its early in the morning or after 5pm the greenway is actually clear enough to go really fast for over 2mile stretches. every morning i go through the greenway from the west village up to 96th street and everyone is cool (joggers stay in lane and a bike bell moves anyone over to let you pass on the left). its usually full of commuters hauling ass to work (even on the weekends which includes me if i have a saturday morning procedure).

plus there is the option at the upper west side of cutting through and riding on riverside with the traffic (which a ton of lycra clad roadies end up doing anyway). it cuts away from the monotony of central park and doing 3 or four loops.

when riding with my wife we'll be faster on the greenway then move onto riverside then just use central park as a cool down/people watching last part of our ride.

Originally Posted by dendawg
The greenway is a joke, often crowded with walkers, joggers, bladers, and nannys pushing double wide strollers on the narrow hill less path. At least the road in Central Park is 3 lanes wide and has a few hills to it.
you could have just as well been describing central park (especially with the nannies and tourists). weekends are hellacious even early morning because of the New York Road Runners races (and other independent races) which I run in. they set up before 6am with all the volunteers. even just running in those races is traffic laden (with all the dog walkers (even unleashed!), tourists, and strollers trying to cross). central park is great for running but it always pains me to see the bike riders trying to get a workout and having to stop/break suddenly for people crossing with their dogs and strollers.