View Single Post
Old 10-29-10, 02:54 PM
anm89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rattlecan Clear coat question

I'm doing a path racer inspired ss build for my friend right now. Its pretty much done but I realized I kind of got myself into a dilemma with the paint situation.

I painted the bike maroon with regular rustoleum rattlecan paint figuring I could just clear coat it later. I have read a couple old posts on clear coating and I'm not exactly sure what to do in my situation.

1) The paint is already on and relatively set.
2) There is no clear coat for the paint system I used.
3) When I went to buy rustoleum clear coat at home depot. i found that they really dont make any specific clear coat, they just have clear spray paint which has no particular protective qualities.

I saw on an old post that someone claimed that many paint shops will mix up a 2 part clear coat with a catalyzer in an aerosol can for you and that this was a good heavy duty option but every paint store I called had no idea what I was talking about when I said this. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also I have access to a hot air gun. Would heating the rattle can paint job I already did about week after make it harden better. Would doing a clear coat over the original coat and then

Last edited by anm89; 11-04-10 at 12:38 PM. Reason: wrong forum