rschleicher
Retro-guy

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of random comments, prompted by other posts:

- A decent pair of gloves, with a bit of palm-padding, makes a lot of difference, and also helps to keep your bar-tape nice. (Fingerless is my preference...)

- The problem with bar-end rear-view mirrors is that they aren't always aimed in the right direction. I have a little mirror that clips onto the temple of my sunglasses. You quickly learn how to tilt your head a bit to aim the mirror. I NEVER rely on the mirror view to tell me its OK to move out into traffic (for example, to move from a RH-side bike lane, across the road to a left turn lane). I use the mirror to tell me that it MIGHT be clear, and then turn around to check for real.... (It's also good for staying aware of other cyclists who might be gaining on you!)

- I also prefer shorts over bibs, and have a cheap pair of leg-warmers for colder days. Leg or arm warmers are good places to save money by getting off-brand products (such as the "in-house" offerings from Performance or Nashbar), whereas with shorts and bibs it is more of a "get what you pay for" situation.

(On this same subject, I remember seeing an article in Bicycling magazine about where to pay a bit more, and where it was OK to stint a bit. If I recall right, some of the suggestions were:

- Spend on shorts/bibs, stint on jerseys
- Spend on shoes, stint on socks, gloves, etc.
- Spend on tires, stint on tubes
- Spend on sunglasses, stint on helmet

(I kind of disagree with the last one, although the gist of their comment is that ALL helmets meet the same safety regulations, and will provide identical protection, so extra money is going toward a bit of weight reduction, perhaps better venting, and "style"...)