Old 10-30-10, 01:59 PM
cal_gundert05
My name is Mike, not Cal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tool/Parts Interchangeability, Track Cogs and Cup-and-Cone Bottom Brackets

I've been thinking of building up a fixed gear with a cup-and-cone style bottom bracket (and possibly hubs), but I would like to reduce the number of tools I'd need to maintain it. With this in mind, I've been trying to think of workarounds that would allow me to use the same tool for multiple things, and I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here:

1. Can you use a track cog as a cup-and-cone style bottom bracket lockring? Would it be so wide that adjusting the cup becomes difficult (perhaps by obscuring the holes in the cup that the pin spanner goes into)?

2. Can a track lockring tool be used on a bottom bracket lockring, or the other way around? I've been told that this wouldn't work, but I'd love some other opinions and/or tests.

3. Could one use a pin spanner to adjust the adjustable cup (Park Tool's green pin spanner with 2.9mm diameter pins is the oft-recommended tool for this, but I wonder if their 2.3mm diameter red pin spanner would also work) and hold the chainring nuts when tightening/loosening chainring bolts?

4. Could one weld/braze a splined fixed cog over/onto the fixed cup of a cup-and-cone bottom bracket (the cog's splines might have to be cut out to do this)?

If someone could actually try to do these things (numbers 1 and 2, mostly), that'd be awesome. Other comments are welcome, too, of course.