Old 10-31-10, 05:35 PM
djpfine

Bikes: Wilier Izoard, Tricross FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek District - what a blast!

I've been hunting for a do-it-all fixed gear for winter training/running errands. The guy at my LBS convinced me to give the belt drive Trek District a shot even though I was looking for a steel frame. Wow, what a fun bike! It definitely stood out compared to the others I tried (e.g., Redline 925, Bianchi Pista). It felt light and sporty and that belt drive is fantastic!

Despite being a single speed aluminum bike that's over my budget, I'm now seriously considering saving up for it instead. On the plus side for winter riding, it's aluminum and won't rust, and the belt drive will require very little maintenance. On the down side, I really wanted a steel frame for comfort and also more of a cross-style bike that accepts larger tires for when the weather gets really bad. Would running 28 tires be good enough to use on paved roads during winter? Aside from when there's snow on the ground of course. It's also a shame they don't yet make this in a fixed gear, as I'd also love to start getting into that type of riding. I feel like I might regret buying a single speed bike down the road.

Decisions, decisions...what what would you do?