View Single Post
Old 11-01-10, 01:03 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 100 miler that I used to do. I have attempted it 11 times now and only failed twice. Once down to personal fitness not being there and once down to weather.

If you are not going to make it- then it is best to call it a day- no matter what the reason. I did finish it once with a Mate that became ill at around the 90 mile mark and as soon as I saw the state of him at the finish- I decided that it was not worth going over the top of personal abilities. When i saw him 3 days later- I became doubly convinced.

Just so you don't think I am a wimp- That 100 miler is the hardest one day off road ride that is possible for mere mortals in the UK. I trained for it- 3 years worth. Have to admit that the 65 mile training rides were worse than the Actual ride. But they were being done in Winter/early spring with plenty of rain and winds to add to the "Enjoyment"

So find an "Easier" Double to attempt as your next one. Sounds as though this one was not be the best intro to what is going to be a hard ride for anyone.

Spike Milligan