View Single Post
Old 05-17-05, 02:58 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travismcgee
I am planning to enter a 16 mile two-man team time trial in 9 months. I typically ride one hour per day six days per week either on a stationary bike, a single speed mountain bike or fixed gear road bike. The course (with three climbs and three fast descents) seems inappropriate for a fixed gear. I do own a geared road bike, but I rarely ride it.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on training. If it makes a difference, I am 45 years old.

Many thanks.
The name of the game is intervals and PAIN! Here is a URL to some training that enabled me to break a state record:

http://www.floridacycling.com/time_trial_training.htm

You must train over lactate threshold to be able to race above LT. You should be able to do a 16 mile TT at 90 some odd percent of your maximum heart rate. I did my last one (a 10K TT) at 97% of maximum. When you finally find yourself in the race, if you are racing properly, you will not be terribly comfortable. The secret is to focus on positive things. Check your grip, check your pedaling technique, listen to your breathing, check your position on the bike, think about how joyful it will be to make the podium or set a new record, or be one of the better times of the day. Do not allow the pain to enter your mind.