View Single Post
Old 11-02-10, 11:08 PM
ImChris

Bikes: Trek Madone, Araya commute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all! Some really really awesome stories i've read so far, so i guess its my time to share.

First, i'll be 21 years old in 6 days. I attend Central Michigan University as a Recreation and Environmental Education major currently in my Junior year. I have been overly OBSESSED with cars since i was a young boy. Living in metro Detroit and having a father working for the "Big Three" cars have been in my life forever. My father built and restored muscle cars so i naturally picked it up from him. Since my 16th birthday i have had 14 cars. Yes, 14. I've built cars up and sold them off only to build something nicer/ faster/ exc. Any money i made i poured straight into my vehicle.

I originally came to Central Michigan as a biomedical science major. I wanted to be a physicians assistant, i wanted a big paycheck, a big house, and most of all lots of cars. Throughout my studies i took some very interesting classes and met some very interesting people. Going into the end of my sophomore year, i had an epiphany. I was taking classes for my major i was not enjoying, my ideals of a huge house, lots of cars, and a big paycheck were changing and i questioned if college was even the right choice for me. With some real soul searching and support of friends and family, i changed my entire life around. I switched my major, switched my minor, and started living the more 'simple' life i wanted to live.

I grew up riding BMX so as i came to college I wanted to continue to ride but thought a road bike would suit campus commuting a bit better. I bought a road bike and used it to get around but still relied on my car for almost everything. The more i found myself riding, the better i felt. Now, this could be due to the fact i had more cash because i wasnt blowing money on gas, but regardless, i felt great!

Fast forward to two months ago. I just purchased my 14th car, a 2002 Subaru WRX. I was already in my 'simpler' life mode as i bought this car and was having second thoughts about the purchase but did it anyways. I felt horrible after buying the car and sold it two weeks later. I've been carless ever since, so two months now.

I LOVE it! I have lots of money to help pay for school and people say i've been more 'peppier'. I think its just because i absolutly love to ride. I LOVE the outdoors and riding alows me to see how beautiful the world (and my city) truely is.

My factory working father thinks its a bit weird and wonders how i can survive. Its been quite easy actually, the town is a university town so most things are within a 30 minute bike commute. For visits home (which is about 3 1/2 hours) i try to catch a ride from someone from my area who also goes to school here. My general plan is to go out west after graduation to a city like LA, San Fran, Seattle but a job could take me to Chicago / NYC. Either way, all cities are pretty good bike friendly cities with public transportation. So i guess i'm going to take this carless attitude as much into the future i can.

Its overall made me a much healthier, happier person. I love the choice to go carless. I will say it was a HUGE move emotionally though. Its though to be so into cars and just drop it.

Oh well.

Thanks for listening :-)

.Chris

PS: The Michigan winter is starting so we'll see how much i like this carless move in two months when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground