Old 11-03-10, 11:52 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling is my life... can't imagine not ever doing it... to those wondering why you continue with the sport... it would be worth your while to find a bike fitter in your area and make an appointment. The fitter can tell you why everything hurts and what can make things better. It is surprising how little changes help. I have a new bike and the first few rides were miserable. I even went back to riding the old bike since it was comfortable. I finally took the time to analyze my complaint and realized the saddle was too far forward. I shrove it back and "voila" complaints are over! Bike is now awesome to ride!

Sometimes to consider... broader (in a seat that is) is not better. A broad seat is intended for a rider in a very upright position, say like on an english style or beach cruiser. If you lean forward even a bit, that broad seat will definitely cut into your tender parts. Also, invest in a good pair of bike shorts. A good pair. You have to pay good money ($80 - 120) but it will be worth it.

Also as to using cleats and pedals... I can't imagine riding any other way. It just feels right and makes you one with the bike. Pedaling is easier and more efficient. Climbing is better. You need to find the right shoe for you (I swear by Sidi's but they are expensive) and the right cleat. I went through 6 cleat systems to finally find the right one for me (Time Alium on the road bike and Time ZControl on the mountain bike).

And stay with it. You can't run a marathon after 2 days of walking a mile. It takes time. Set up realistic goals. Baby steps. Ease into it. But just know, it is a mental thing. I have been riding almost 50 years and some of the stuff I do still hurts... it's not suppose to be easy it's suppose to be exercise and no pain, no gain.

If you want to correspondence about this offline, just PM Me...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.