gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DwarvenChef
I have a Trek 7100, ya low end but what can I say. I raised my seat an inch about 2 weeks ago and at the same time I watched my front fork slowly collaps on it's self. The fork is the RST CT COM 105 (decal on right side). My question ar these forks needing replaced or can they be fixed, I've read that some of these kinds of forks can be worked on but have no clue if these are one of them.

If they are shot out and need replaced, What fork would be a good replacement on a budget, I'm not looking for just cheap junk I want to put a rack on the front at some point and want a "Best Bang for the Buck" kind of fork if I need to replace it.

My LBS doesn't open for a few hours.... and I would like to have an idea what to ask about.
I'd take it to an LBS, explained what happened to cause the problem and ask what they could do for you? If they suggest a replacement fork at full price, I'd take that under advisement and then try to find a bike co-op which probably has a bunch of hybrid forks sitting around doing nothing. Sounds like you might need to ask them to do the repair.

Compare and contrast estimates.