Old 11-03-10, 07:04 PM
Bare Feet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your “Just keep riding” advice pays off . . .

(I rode 300 miles alone on my new bike in October.)

The LBS told me about a Ladies Develpmnt Clinic run by a woman who has done some racing. The 28-mile route is mostly flat with 1 short and 1 long hill. He encouraged me to join their Monday recovery pace ride, C* 13-14 mph avgs.

So, two days ago, I finally got my courage up and joined them. Six other women in their 30’s & 40’s. We left at 10 AM, 40 degrees, windy, sunny. Shortly, the “coach” came along side me, and began complimenting my form, my spin(?), my flexibility, said I looked like a natural. The ride was terrific! Even the killer hill that everyone had me terrified of wasn’t so bad (I did want to strip my layers off though, I got so hot!)

When we got back to the parking lot, the leader invited me to join them on their Wednesday ride. I asked, “What’s the difference?” Her answer “Same route, faster B* pace. You’re ready!” GULP! I am??

With a knot in my stomach, I showed up this morning. There were only 3 of us now. We took off at a noticeably quicker pace, but I was determined to keep up. She was so impressed with my cadence, saying people work so hard to get that. I tried to gear up, but my legs would burn. She coached me on pace lines, umm..drafting . . it was awesome. We pretty much maintained 16-17mph (they slowed when I needed to) , 15.4 avg spd after 28 miles.

This is very exciting! Is it okay to be proud of yourself?

They ride all year, and that is now my plan too!

Again, I end with a thank you to the friendly people here.
I couldn’t have done this without you