View Single Post
Old 11-03-10, 10:48 PM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey75
A little tough love for you John,

Several respondents have suggested a trip to a bike fitter and I have yet to hear you acknowledge that as something you will try. In my estimation that should be the very first thing that you do. Until the fit is right for you as performed by a qualified physical therapist specializing in that art, then everything else is just a guess and you’re likely to end up chasing your tail (no pun intended). It is entirely possible that the LBS where you bought your new bike didn’t sell you the right size in the first place and nothing you do will compensate for that. If it’s the case that the bike is not the right size, demand that the shop trade for the proper frame size. If you’ve only ridden it a few times as you’ve stated and not crashed it, they shouldn’t have an issue with that. I’m sure they’d rather have a satisfied customer than one complaining about how terrible their torture machine is.

I hear the frustration and dissatisfaction in your comments. I’d be disenchanted too if I spent “a ba-jillion dollars” on something only to find out I detested it. So, if you really want to solve your issues instead of just complaining about them, start attacking them one at a time with absolute first step being seeking out the advice of a fitment professional. If you don’t know where to look for one, ask for references from bike shops, other riders, your family doctor, etc. It might cost you a couple hundred bucks (but your health insurance may pay for at least part of it). But it will be the best money you spend to allow you to get comfortable and enjoy this healthy sport. If you’ve already decided you’re not going to enjoy it, sell the road bike for whatever you can get for it and return to your commuter bike.

In any event, keep on pedaling.
I'm not entirely sure we have such a person in my small town, but I will look into it and ask around. I did some Googling and there's a really high-tech outfit in the next big town over. I shudder to think of what that would cost. It's a Retul fitting, and looks like something out of Terminator. I think a couple of hundred would be a joke, probably more like $350. That's pricy. There's other options. One fitting service was in town in September, according to the local road club.

I just think I need to sashay back down to the place I just spent all this dough at and ask for more help with the fit. Here's one thing I did notice today while riding to work on my commuter bike - I sit forward in the saddle on it. I'm not back against the very back of the seat for whatever reason. I have to learn to stay back on the seat. That's gotta be a big part of my problem with the saddle.

The saddle even has the "taint hole," as someone put it. Here's the bike, it's over my head, much more bike than I needed as a beginner, but I figured I'd grow into it.

Originally Posted by sstorkel
Sounds like you're complaining about a small set of relatively minor problems. Also, keep in mind that it takes more time than you've invested to get used to a road bike. I took a 10-year hiatus from road riding and when I went back to it found that the expensive bike I used to love was uncomfortable, nervous, and generally not fun to ride. But after a couple of weeks and 200-300 miles, I got used to it again and everything was fine...

Specific suggestions:

1. As everyone has said, you should get different pedals. I couldn't imagine riding without clipless pedals, but they're definitely not for a beginner. Especially not clipless road pedals. Clipless mountain bike pedals are often a bit easier to deal with. I generally recommend Shimano's M520 SPD mountain bike pedal to riders who are new to clipless pedals. They have adjustable release tension and will accept the SH56 "multi-release" cleat; between the two, it is very easy to make the pedals release. There are also pedals that offer both platforms and clips. Look for Shimano's A520 and A530 or try a cheap pedal like the Nashbar Rodeo. You can clip-in when you feel comfortable, or flip the pedal over and ride unclipped if necessary.

2. Buy a different saddle. Find a shop or online dealer with a good demo program or a liberal return policy and try/buy as many saddles as it takes to find one that works for you. When I test saddles I wear padded cycling shorts, ride my normal 30-mile loop, and return the saddle if I feel any discomfort on the ride. I don't buy the idea that you have break-in either your saddle or your butt. If there's any discomfort during a test-ride, the saddle is only going to get worse as you increase distance.

3. Riding in traffic gets easier with time. In the meantime, there are a few things you can do that might help... The first thing is to ask your local bike shop (or cycling club) to recommend some riding routes for you. They'll probably know which roads are likely to be bicycle-friendly and which ones aren't. Second, consider riding further to the left. On roads that don't see many bicycles, I find that riding as far to the right as possible often encourages drivers to try to squeeze past you with only a few inches to spare. If you move to the left and "take the lane", a car coming up from behind may be encouraged to move into a different lane to pass. This is best done or multi-lane roads or in places where you can travel at approximately the same speed as vehicular traffic; holding cars up can be a recipe for getting honked at, or worse.

4. This sounds like problems 2 and 3 again.

5. Work with the store that sold you the bike to achieve a fit that is more comfortable to you. This might mean a different stem, additional spacers under the stem, etc. You might just need a stem that's a bit shorter and angled upward more. I'm a big fan of Specialized's $45 shim-adjustable "Comp Set" stem. You can start with an upright riding position, then change the angle to lower the bars as you get more fit and want a more aerodynamic riding position.
I think I already have that stem, and the guy at the shop said if I didn't like the way it rides, I should get him to flip the stem. I'm gonna do that Friday - there's a cold wave coming in and I'm not sure I wanna be struggling to ride in it. Friday sounds like a perfect day to get the bike messed with. He told me I'd wanna be more aerodynamic, but I don't really care about that for now. I need to be more comfortable.

Really, everybody, I was just venting after a disastrous ride that started with a near-fall after I screwed up clipping in and didn't go well because it was a new route with a lot more traffic than I expected there to be. Tomorrow, I will have learned my lesson about what I did wrong today and everything will be fine. Plus as you can see from the ticker, the diet isn't working so well and I'm dealing with a nasty case of depression anyway. I was kinda hoping the bike would give me something new to focus on, lift me out of a funk. Maybe it will, eventually.

It really is quite the learning curve when you're first starting out, especially considering the huge differences between the stock-upright position of a commuter bike and the constant bend of the road bike.

Oh, and I always wear my bike shorts commando. I do wear a pair of warm-ups over them, but I've got some leg warmers on order from Bike Nashbar.

Last edited by john423; 11-03-10 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added info