View Single Post
Old 11-04-10, 10:27 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john423
I've got the Shimano R540. That right pedal always seems to be where I don't want it to be. What you said about momentum sums it up. If I don't get it on that first try, it gets tougher and tougher, and I can't seem to do much pedaling without being clipped in.
This is why mountain bike pedals and shoes are so great! The pedals have clips on two (or more) sides, so it's easier to get clipped in. If you don't get clipped, the pedals are flat enough and the shoes have enough tread that you can easily pedal without being clipped in. The Shimano PD-M520 is the way to go, in my book. Shop around a bit and you can find them for $35.

BTW, don't forget that you can change gears with the bike stopped. Get off the bike, click the shifter to an easier gear, then lift the seat so the rear tire is off the ground and spin the crank a couple of times until the chain moves to the right gear.

Dumb question - will pretty much any set of pedals fit on the bike?
All clipless pedals should fit your bike. If you're looking for a cheap pedal that isn't clipless you'll want to buy one with a 9/16" spindle.