Old 11-04-10, 10:32 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Or it could mean that if all people who are capable of producing this force are not equal, then the inequality must be caused by some other factor; as in fact it is. The limiter to performance is not strength but the ability to produce power over the intended period of time. Further, this ability to produce force over time is not coupled to or limited by maximal force (strength) so developing strength does not increase the sustained power.

Yes, but that would only lower the force required for the given power reinforcing the argument that strength is not a limiter. I deliberately chose a low cadence as a worst case type of example.
I agree with your points but as I said earlier strength training increases your efficiency in creating this power countering your statement "The limiter to performance is not strength but the ability to produce power over the intended period of time"

I realize that this is a debate that goes on between people all the time and I know that we can't settle it here so to pose a question regarding this issue in particular; do you weight train? what kind of racer are you (i.e. sprinter, climber, etc)? how would you improve the op's dilemma?