Old 11-05-10, 02:27 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 7rider
The Pagemill and Alpine approaches to 280 are always a bit nervous for me, and this story gives me more reason to be very aware of the traffic on those stretches. RIP.
Page Mill and 280 should definitely have traffic signals (or a large roundabout), or some better traffic control than stop signs.

- The delay in getting off the freeway during commute hours, particularity the AM peak hours for the 280 SB off ramp, is way way too high. Delaying drivers, and making them more hurried.
- The intersection covers a vast section of land (it's spread out) making some drivers confused about the order of arrivals, and going out of turn. I have almost been hit (in my car) from someone punching the gas pedal when it was not their turn, and I have seen a cyclist nearly run over by another car as well.

Why that intersection is not signalized is beyond me... The volume of cars, and bikes, is pretty high. Safety would be improved with signals.

Not sure about Alpine, as I never usually traverse that roadway segment during busy traffic hours.