Old 05-18-05, 11:38 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've been riding fixed (48x17) for about three weeks now (350 miles).

I haven't found it as compelling or different as I expected. Yes, one needs to adjust to constant pedaling in the first few times, but not that big a deal as I pretty much pedaled constantly anyway before, except around corners.

But honestly I am a bit frustrated with the gearing, I ride only flats, but lately often with good winds. Somedays I with a tailwind find myself wanting a higher gear pedaling at 130rpm, going 30mph (where I used to go 35mph on my geared bike) - but more frequent is the 28mph range where I am at 125rpm, but wanting to go faster. But I find my starts from green lights in traffic a bit sluggish, not as quick across the intersections as I like, so a higher gear is not an option yet.

Of course this is why a fixed bike is so great, it forces you to both strengthen legs and develop higher cadence. Even after these few weeks I am stronger. But I do often want two gears, one for strong headwinds and fast starts, one for top speed.

I rode the many geared bike today on a whim, and didn't notice any transition issues, ride basically felt the same.

But all this said, I am compelled to ride the fixed, I want to, I regret not riding it today, wish I could for the ride home.

Al