View Single Post
Old 09-17-02, 07:35 PM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a hunter myself, but I support responsible hunting.

Humans are a predator and have the same right to roam wild and free in the forest and eat other critters as a wolf or cougar does. Forbidding hunting to humans would imply that we are not a part of nature and are somehow morally superior to the rest of the wild things. I haven't hunted, but I've fished, and there's a definite intense visceral interest in stalking something, hiding in the shadows and waiting to pounce. In an artificial age, we need to preserve all the natural instincts we can. Have you ever realized how many survival traits we lose by living the way we do? Our instinct tells us to stay home and sleep on a snowy day: the alarm clock tells us to get up and go to work. Our instinct tells us not to eat when we're not hungry: the TV tells us we need some Doritos. Our instinct tells us we are bored and frustrated with our safe, sheltered lives: our culture tells us we all need to work more so we can buy more impressive toys. The more we ignore and suppress our instincts, the more we lose them. Someday we may NEED those instincts again. They developed for a reason, in the first place.

Hunting is not only an instinct, it's a survival skill. The skills learned from hunting may save lives in some situations. It's no good waiting till you have to kill to live, and then hoping you catch on as you go. I look on good responsible hunters with the same attitude I look on the Amish. ("At least, if everything goes to hell, thank god there will be SOMEONE who remembers how to do things without grocery stores/tractors/computers/whatever.) The more primitive the hunting equipment the better--hats off to bowhunters and black-powder hunters. Even more admiration to insane survivalists who learn to creep up on a deer and kill it with bare hands or a jackknife. Someday, that knowledge may be all that stands between them and starvation. And we non-hunters will have to hope the insane survivalist will share with us.

Sadly, most of the deer hunters I know are much more interested in the beer and poker games than the actual hunting!

I had a close call once. (In my car, though, not on my bike.) I was driving past a field when a huge buck with a big rack jumped up and ran along with my car! Then I saw that on the OTHER side of him was a hunter with an aimed rifle. If he shot and missed the deer, I had a good chance of being ventilated. Fortunately he apparently wasn't too drunk or too obsessed with Buck Fever to ignore the danger and take the illegal shot. (Though, if I hadn't been there, I have a feeling he would have ignored the law about shooting too close to the road.)