Old 11-08-10, 10:41 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bianchi Celeste Super Leggera Restoration - Pic Heavy

I'm restoring what I think is a Bianchi Super Leggera. It had tri-bars and had obviously been employed as such (there was sand in the handlebars ). I'm putting a 3TTT bar/pantographed stem combo on it.

The model stickers are no longer visible. The BB reads "Campagnolo - Athena" and I'm assuming all the components (other than stem and seat post are Athena. The hubs are original, but the rims are mismatched and unoriginal. I'm guessing that this is an '88-'89 model. The serial number is "3270" and the BB also has "L9" stamped into it. I don't know anything about Bianchi dating. This is my first Bianchi restoration.

One of the RD jockey wheels was cracked so I replaced them both with NOS, red Bullseye wheels. I've removed all components and thoroughly cleaned the frame. I used #0000 steel wool on some of the rusty spots that I intend to cover with touch-up paint. I've cleaned and repacked the headset. Now I need to remove the brake pads from the original holders and replace them. The brake hoods cleaned up well. All of the steel hardware was given the OA treatment. The crank is now back together. I'll need to get a Campy BB tool to deal with that.

I need some help with a few other issues:
  • What rims did this come equipped with originally?
  • What pedals did this come equipped with originally?
  • Is there a source for Celeste vinyl or other material with which to recover the saddle?
  • Has anyone used this Celeste touch-up paint? Would you recommend it or another?

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 11-08-10 at 10:48 AM.