Old 11-09-10, 10:25 AM
Purplemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horrible Noisy Chain slippage under power.

hi all,

now I'm sure you've all seen one of these threads before, unfortunately I've looked though so many forums and found various Q&A's without seeing my solution, or specific problem. So if you can bare another chain slipping thread here goes.

I have a New Chain, Cassette, Back Wheel, Rear D�railleur, and hanger. Chain was measured against old chain, and again on the big cog to big cog with 2 link spare. All setup I've done myself, D�railleuring is seamless, and accurate. I can cycle around perfectly smoothly if I use the big front cog, and any rear cog, Although saying this I never go futher up then around the middle as I dont' want to twist the chain too much. I have to use the front biggy, as either of the other two cause the jumping problem, which occurs under force only, i.e. I can cycle around on flat surface and change gears up slowly with speed. if I start off in too high a gear then crunch, if I attempt to go up a hill then crunch. If I leave it on the front biggy, then its a very usable bike, apart from hills, and my legs are killing me!

Unfortunately I cannot recreate this problem on the bike stand, only when in proper use, and if I stare down at the drive train, it appears to be the rear cassette that is allowing the slip.

This weekend I moved the rear d�railleur so its arm was further forward, this means the chain is now running around the cassette in a very nice U shape. I had high hopes, but it didn't make the slightest difference.

Whilst it was on the stand, I did notice that the front chainset appears to wobble very slightly, this causes the chain to move ever so slightly from left to right as its running though, so I'm now wondering if I should replace this. The only thing that bothers me about this, is I can't imagine how this problem is being influenced by the pull of the top of the chain, I've always assumed its going to be from the d�railleur feed, rather then the cassette to chainset feed.

I've also checked the chain for tight links, and couldn't spot any.

any help will be appreciated.