Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Nice report - thanks for sharing. Beautiful venue. Great effort. I sure understand being off your peak, mine was last August - been getting slower ever since.

Interesting - the track construction. I would have never guessed that from the pics. I would imagine that would give really good traction but as your say, it would be a little slower. It must have been very expensive to build.
The best wooden tracks are made from Siberian pine planks laid side by side and you ride on the edge of the plank not the end grain. There are a couple of families that have the know how and experience to build a wooden track. The one in Anadia, IMO, is a cheaper version of the ones in LA or Manchester.

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Great report Hermes. Both you and your wife have raised the bar by going to Worlds. You must have a great feeling of satisfaction. I know what you mean regarding the peak fitness is in the past. Its time for some well earned rest and recovery before you begin the next season's cycle. I've experienced a significant decline in my placings in cyclo cross races and am taking November as a fun/recovery month.
The peaking aspect of cycling is pretty interesting. Although, I feel really strong and have a lot of endurance, my top end peak power is off. When I first got to Anadia, I was riding on the track with others and I felt really good. It makes sense that one cannot just keep increasing power month over month. If there were possible, it would be easier to obtain pro level power which is very much not the case.

So I am taking it easy and back in the gym focusing on weighs and core work. We get to do this all over again next year.