View Single Post
Old 11-10-10, 06:26 PM
musicman1586

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a bike for The Great Divide

Alright, so I've decided it is time to start taking seriously my bucket list and knock a few things off. The most feasible (and affordable, Everest or K2 will probably have to come out of my retirement fund.. =-P ) of these is to bike the entire Great Divide Canada to Mexico. My current moutain bike is really not suitable for offroad touring (2007 Marin East Peak, too hard to rig frame bags, etc. or racks, panniers, and no coil shocks for touring durability) so I'm starting to gather ideas for my build. I have some frames in mind already, but I want to clarify a few things first so we don't waste posts discussing irrelevent things.

So first and foremost, I don't want to hear anything about "you'll have a hard time finding 29er tires in Asia" or "disc brake parts are hard to come by in South America" etc. This point is, to be blunt, annoyingly reiterated, and let's be honest, the common bicycle tourists in general aren't planning their bike purchases/builds for such uses. For me such ideas are waaay too far removed from my circumstances: I'm a broke graduate student who thankfully works for REI so I can barely afford my hobbies, and I'll be in school for years to come, so I won't be taking off to go pedal the Silk Road any time soon, all will be domestic, where worse case scenario I'll have to have someone overnight me a part or what have you. On this note, I am much more interested in off-road touring than on-road, so this bike is being put together with that specific purpose in mind. I know many traditional touring bikes can be set up for the GDMBR, but I want a mountain bike touring bike specifically.

Second I am very likely going to be following the bikepacking route (frame bags etc., likely homemade) because I'm already set up for it from my years of backpacking ultralight and because to me the philosophy just makes sense, to each their own. So a heavy precedent doesn't need to be given to which bike will carry a significant load the best. Finally I have a preference for disc brakes and drop bars: disc brakes are the preference for the GDMBR from all the trip reports I've read, and I have an affinity for drop bars vs. riser bars with bar ends because I feel that the different positions a drop bar gives you gives a greater variety in posture compared to moving between grips and bar-ends on a riser bar. I'm more than willing to hear suggestions on bar ideas, things such as h-bars, trekking bars, mini-aerobars (I like this idea actually, used to be a triathlete so I'm used to the position). Oh I also don't have a strong preference between riding a rigid vs. suspension fork bike except for the fact that a rigid build will be cheaper (and I kinda like riding rigid in truth)

So on to the frames (and corresponding completes) I'm considering:
Salsa Fargo: Seems like the obvious choice, and it definitely tops my list right now. I have read the post about the problem with shimmy, however having worked in the industry for a while, I'm more than willing to give Salsa the benefit of the doubt that it was a dud frame especially considering the multitude of otherwise positive reviews compared to the small percentage of problems. I'm also going to try to avoid front racks if possible as well, so even less of a concern. I also really like the spec on the 2011 Fargo (Apex STIs, 2X10 drivetrain, although I'm not sure if the 40/27 crank with the 12-36 cassette will be enough low end compared to 22-34 for touring, haven't calculated it out yet)

Novara Safari: So we've changed the Safari into a steel 29er (well except the small size) which is disc and v-brake compatible. I always have liked the Safari and have considered buying one on numerous occassions. They're quite affordable, so I could easily upgrade to disc brakes, but I am not sure about the trekking bars (from what I've read hard to get a handlebar bag to work with them, not the end of the world however). I hate grip-shifters though (just simply personal preference) and that's another thing I'd have to change out. Most the components are a tad cheaper as far as quality goes, that's the only other thing that keeps me on the fence.

Surly Pugsley/Salsa Mukluk: I've always liked the idea of a fat-tire bike and I have read enough posts now about how people love to tour with their Pugs that this has become a serious consideration for me. High-volume tires would work as mild suspension as well, which would help with the washboard I keep hearing about along the GDMBR. Not sure which I like more. Pugsley is steel and I really like the big front fork spacing that allows me to carry a single speed rear hub on the front wheel, as I recently had to carry my bike several miles out of a trail system. I (believe it or not) got a seed lodged in my chain that locked up my derailer and tore my derailer hanger off...was supposed to be a casual fun ride...anyways, I'm a little paranoid at the moment about that being a possibility. The Mukluk has some winning points however, for one the geometry is optimized for handling at slower speeds, which likely translates to handling better at touring speeds. The rear drop-out spacing options is nice as well, however I'm not sure how much I'd really take advantage of that feature in the long run. The Mukluk being aluminum probably isn't that big a deal considering the fat-tires will take care of a lot of the bumps.

Surly Troll: Super-versatile, disc or v-brake, steel, geared or specific internal if I ever decide to spend money on that, plus I could set it up as a moderate fat-tire bike (fits 2.7" supposedly) when I want to try that out as well. I could build this bike up as your traditional go-anywhere, do-anything, get parts wherever tourer. Haven't really looked at the geometry too closely but I know it is more traditional mountain bike geometry, so mayhap it wouldn't be ideal as a touring bike after all? Doubtful as many people suggest vintage moutain bikes as a good bike for GDMBR.

Other considerations that I have some problems with.
Surly Karate Monkey (and many other 29ers): Probably fine for my uses, but the fact that there is complications using racks with discs on it makes me favor the Fargo more (even though I don't intend to use racks, a little versatility never hurt, just in case)
Surly Long Haul Trucker: I like the LHT, and price-to-spec it is one hell of a deal, but I really do want discs, so it is for now kind of being overlooked, I enjoy how the bike rides, it'll fit wide enough tires for the GDMBR easily, and it is a stable, bomb-proof bike, but the lack of discs does it in right now atleast, feel free to offer opinions to sway me though, economically it's probably the best choice.

Obviously there's lots of other choices on the market, but I'm considering bikes that I can fortunately get at a discount because my occupation, so I'd like opinions on the bikes already suggested, personal experiences, grievances, etc. etc. Sorry this is a long post; I wanted to get out as many details as possible so I don't have to clarify things later on.
Any suggestions throw them at me.