Old 11-10-10, 09:09 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by albertmoreno
Let's get over the knicks and scratches on new, nice bikes. Let's remove the decals and stickers.

I bought a Surly Cross Check and outfitted it with Surly Nice Racks and Brooks handlebar tape and B17 saddle. I was devastated after a crash this morning inflicted a few cosmetic blemishes on the frame, saddle, and saddle bar tape this morning but you know what, I bought Surly because of its quality and reputation not because of the brand. I'm not the kind to chase brand names like Guess jeans and Coach purses and I don't need Surly stickers constantly reminding me of the brand name consumerist culture that encourages us to to buy beyond our means and replace used things with new things. I already took the stickers off the racks and I'm considering taking the decals off the frame. It'll help me appreciate the bike for what it is, a bike to ride, have fun with, and take me places, not look at and fret over every little knick.

What do you think? Have you taken the decals off your new bikes? Do you have a second hand bike that you love because of its imperfections?
I take all decals off my bikes, wheels, etc - anything that can be removed without damage. I will never wear cycling clothes with team names or sponsor logos. If the manufacturer wants me to advertise their products, they can pay me for it.

I've always been of the opinion that cyclists who obsess over decals and brand names are lacking... maturity, to put it politely.