Old 11-11-10, 09:19 AM
Eileen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by albertmoreno
Let's get over the knicks and scratches on new, nice bikes. Let's remove the decals and stickers.

I bought a Surly Cross Check and outfitted it with Surly Nice Racks and Brooks handlebar tape and B17 saddle. I was devastated after a crash this morning inflicted a few cosmetic blemishes on the frame, saddle, and saddle bar tape this morning but you know what, I bought Surly because of its quality and reputation not because of the brand. I'm not the kind to chase brand names like Guess jeans and Coach purses and I don't need Surly stickers constantly reminding me of the brand name consumerist culture that encourages us to to buy beyond our means and replace used things with new things. I already took the stickers off the racks and I'm considering taking the decals off the frame. It'll help me appreciate the bike for what it is, a bike to ride, have fun with, and take me places, not look at and fret over every little knick.

What do you think? Have you taken the decals off your new bikes? Do you have a second hand bike that you love because of its imperfections?
This is a confusing post. You bought a Surly Cross Check, but you are opposed to the stickers? OK, take 'em off -- it's your bike, who's stopping you? And yet, you have not removed them -- but you are encouraging others to do so. But you did take them off of the racks.

What is your point? The Surly Cross Check is a nice bike, with or without stickers. It will last a very long time. Compared to a motor vehicle, it's a bargain. You say you bought it for its quality and reputation. Cool. But the STICKERS ruin that for you? Really?

I don't think that the decals on the bike encourage spending beyond one's means. Do you think that you did spend beyond your means and that removing the stickers will somehow remedy that?

I do have two old Raleighs. One I will probably powder coat. Husband is horrified, says I can't do it without getting a new sticker set for it. I say that I can; it's my damn bike. And I totally bought them for their quality and reputation, and they were dirt cheap. I will also probably buy a Retrovelo -- for its quality and reputation, and the fact that it is EXACTLY the bicycle that I want. And the decals don't bother me and neither does the price. I don't buy cars. This bicycle will probably be with me for at least 20 years. A $2K car? Not a chance in hell. That is definitely not consumerist or spending beyond my means.