desertdork
just pokin' along

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ktselios, congrats on your bike.

Not sure exactly what you meant by this:
The reason I am thinking of changing to drop bar is that I want to be able to brake while my hands are on the end of the handlebar (which is impossible with a flat bar).
Unless you intend to use the drops, there are other (including less expensive) options, including trekking bars and bullhorns.

Even a basic conversion to drops can be rather costly, especially if you pay msrp on parts and need to rely on a shop to do the conversion. That said, it would be beneficial to get some saddle time on a drop bar bike to determine if it's worth it.

For my 7.7 conversion, I used:
  • Shimano Ultegra STI
  • FSA Omega Compact h-bar
  • Shimano R550 Canti brakes
  • Shimano 6603 front derailleur
  • Front & rear cable hangers
  • Bar tape

Parts were discounted. The brifters were ridiculously discounted to $119 (~75% off), otherwise it would have barend shifters. V-brakes aren't compatible with STI levers, so I just replaced them with compatible cantilever brakes for not much more than the cost of "travel agents." The shifters also needed a different FD. I did the work myself, so no labor fee. Based on msrp for parts and minimal labor, the LBS probably would have charged $800 out the door for this. I did it for ~$300.

No, it still wasn't cheap, and certainly some would consider the conversion foolish. But the result works better for me. I like the hand positions of a drop bar, the option of sitting more upright or stretching out, and I regularly need the drops for dealing with wind here.

The conversion by ATX is very nicely done.