Old 11-12-10, 11:42 AM
venom

Bikes: 2009 Cervelo RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cantis & Ceramic Rims

I just finished building up my first cyclocross bike and had a question regarding the compatibility of ceramic brake surface wheels with canti brakes. I bought some new Mavic Open Pro rims with the ceramic braking surface and some new Paul's Neo Retro brakes. I had the LBS setup the brakes and the guy who installed them has Paul's on his bike and is a very experienced mechanic. They installed ceramic specific brake pads (the ones that came with the Paul's were never installed). They told me that the first set of pads would wear quickly to break in the braking surface, and got me some other ceramic specific pads to replace them. So far I've gone on about 3 rides with the new bike for a total of about 10 miles and the pads are nearly shot, and the noise from the brakes in unbelievably loud, like people stop whatever they're doing to look up to see what that god awful squeeling, screeching, screaming noise is. I'm not sure if it's because the wheels are new, ceramics are not compatible with cantis or that they were's set up properly, but whatever it is, it's really bad. Any thoughts on this?