Old 11-15-10, 02:13 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There are some positive things being done. I read an article in NewScientist last year that described what was happening in one of the Dakotas (I can never keep ND and SD straight). When someone loses his/her license for DUI, they put a wifi-enabled ankle bracelet on. The bracelet detects whether or not the wearer has been drinking. Abstinence from drinking is a condition of the drunk's parole. Whenever the anklet wearer is near a wifi device it sends its data to authorities. They have decided to fight the addiction rather than use all their resources on keeping him/her from getting behind the wheel.

Then there is the actions being taken in Orange County (and I think a few other CA counties). When someone is convicted of DUI, they make them sign a document stating that they are aware that a drunk driver poses a tremendous risk to innocent people. They then use this document to enable a second degree murder prosecution when the repeat offenders kill.

I don't know how effective either of these programs have been, but at least the prosecutors are thinking outside the box and trying to improve an inadequate system.