View Single Post
Old 11-15-10, 05:00 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Al,

#1. Take back the bottle stuff, it is expensive water (very dilute). The stuff in a bottle is a huge ripoff. Instead, go to Sherwin Williams paint store and buy the pure oxalic: 12 ounces will cost you about $9. FWIW: I buy it five pounds at a time from Van ****s (mail order) for about $12 as I recall. But you don't need that kind of quantity. Stop by Waynesville and I will give you some.

2. How long is all about concentration. I use the solution really dilute (so it takes longer to work, but costs less and is easier to handle: a concentration by weight of about 0.2% to 0.4%). At that strength, I let it sit for about 24 hours. And then I keep reusing the solution, several times, til I need the room and then I dump it. My current bath has treated at least ten frames.

3. Most rubber is pretty acid resistant. I would probably test something first, or just treat it briefly. Recognize that there are a lot of different materials that people call "rubber", it is not all the same for sure.

4. Why not naval jelly? Try soaking the inside of a frame, an entire frame or fork in naval jelly. I don't see a way it would work. Oxalic is cheap and effective. Why use something more costly and less effective? For small spot treatment, use the weapon of your choice: naval jelly or whatever.