genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I can't really disagree with your thesis, but there is very little else in road design that assumes people will follow the law. For example, roadside obstacles are commonly removed even though drivers are legally required to travel on the roadway, not down the ditch. Similarly, the county here just ruined a lot of good cycling routes by putting rumble strips everywhere. The idea that people will be able to adequately check for oncoming traffic in their mirrors is a much more radical assumption than is generally used in road design. They just don't want to get rid of parking. Parking is sacrosanct in most municipalities.

I agree, although in State College there have been a number of parking spaces taken out so it's not uniformly bad. My impression is that it's not necessarily done with bad intentions.
Every darn stop light and stop sign is in place on the assumption that motorists will obey them! That they fail to do so and still manage to only kill 40,000 or so annually is the real surprise.

I know this seems "illogical" at first glance, but the reality is that if motorists and cyclists actually held to the laws, everything would work just fine... Of course the ugly reality is that this isn't the case, and everyone tries to bend the rules.