View Single Post
Old 11-16-10, 01:12 AM
Willeke_igkt

Bikes: delta recumbent trike, sparta amazone urpight, dahon folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was the Netherlands during the rise of the car.
There were still a lot of bikes, but the car was certainly there.
Before that time, late 40's and early 50's you would catch the 'bike train' to the factory, there were so many bikes going at the work shift change, that you could only ride the same speed as all others. And like in a railway train, you did meet the same group of people all the time.
I am too young to remember this, I have been told this by older people.

In the 1950's and 60's car use diminished from 70% to 10% and in this film I do see a lot of cars. Now the percentage has come up to 40% in some cities, and 30% overal for the country, I am told.

Most of the 'motorbikes' in the video were Mopeds, can be recognized by a yellew sign on the front mudgard/fender. Now we have about the same numbers of mopeds, as far as I can judge from one flim, but the current lot is more in the shape of scooters.
Then and now officially restricted to a top speed of 50 km/h, about 30 mile, but often going much faster. They are now more and more using the car lanes rather than mixing with the bicycles, much safer for us.

If you like pictures about riding a bike in Amsterdam I can surely recommend this blog:
http://amsterdamize.com/ like this one edition: http://amsterdamize.com/2010/09/28/end-of-september/

Where are all the fat people?
In the cars. There still are less fat people here than in the USA, on average, but the number is on the rise. And while the average number of overweight people was lower still in the 1960's, there certainly were people who were gross overweight.
Many of those would chose to ride a car, gotten overweight because of being rich and lazy, or finding going by bike hard and using train or bus if not rich, most of those would be overweight because of medical problems. Being overweight because you are poor did not exist in those times, not here.