View Single Post
Old 11-16-10, 10:09 AM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is this? (lotso pictures)

Walking through a yard, saw some bike frames lying against a shed. Asked the guy if wanted to sell the frames. Probably overpaid.

This frame has been rattle canned, maybe more than once. The fork says Basso on the dropouts, but it seems like the fork tube is too long. So it may not be original. But I started searching for pictures of Bassos with oversized down tubes.

At first I thought it might be a Basso Ascot. The Ascot uses columbus MS tubing which had the oversized down tube. But MS tubing also had a triangular seat stay, and this does not. Also, most Bassos I found had a unique and different seat clamp. I couldn't find any Bassos that had this same type of seat clamp, except maybe the Viper, and the Viper's I found were TIG welded not lugged.

The shifters on it appear to be C-Record Syncro 7 speed indexed. I don't know the other components, except they are campy. Has a braze on FD. Vertical dropouts. Internal cable routing. The down tube is flattened where it goes into the BB.

So what do you think it is?

Here are the lotso pictures