Old 11-16-10, 03:31 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
The problem is that HR can make it look like you are "hitting your numbers" when power would tell you that you are off.
Hear, hear!

I'm strictly a hobbyist/fred/wannabe, but a Power meter has been utterly helpful in my improvement and enjoyment.

There are some things you can do with a power meter that cannot be done with only an HRM.
After only one year of use, the best things I've learned from my power meter are:
a) to resist the tendency to clench up when putting the hammer down, and that remaining relaxed & supple during intervals enables me to continue conscious, deep, yoga-style breathing (rather than clenching up & letting my breathing just happen) lets me increase the watts dramatically toward the end of the interval, without the corresponding spike in HR.
b) higher-rpm is a great way to generate more power, BUT you must get accustomed to spinning at that higher rpm first. This might sound lame, but a power meter can teach you how to be a more efficient engine, rather than just stomping on the pedals.

When I was only using the HRM, I could jack my heart rate way up, just by spinning faster than I was accustomed, or by clenching up. But without knowing my power output in either of those situations, I was just doing cardio without really improving.

Last edited by calamarichris; 11-16-10 at 04:19 PM.