genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by GoUSF
Ok, there arent any driveways either but I see your point. But I dont see how that makes me safer then driving my bike In traffic.
Everyone gave you reasons why the sidewalk isn't safer... it all comes down to their perceptions of what a sidewalk is... in their minds sidewalks tend to be narrow, filled with people and stuff... the stuff ranging from sign and light poles to fire hydrants to benches; the sidewalk has unmarked intersections, such as business driveways and private driveways... all these things mean that you have to go slow, avoid the obstacles and be wary at all crossing points.

Now if the sidewalk you are considering using is nothing like that described, then likely it may be far safer than riding in the street... especially if the street is a wide multi-laned fast arterial road with narrow lanes and inattentive motorists that are just looking for addresses or on ramps.

I have seen sidewalks that are in relatively undeveloped areas, with no driveways; since there were no business or homes about, there was no one on these sidewalks. Wide, empty sidewalks that have few if any crossing points for cars can be quite safe and usable... it is all about judgment... what does your sidewalk look like?