Old 11-18-10, 12:49 AM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
We were also scavengers but I don't like picking up squirrel a la Hyundai.

Whole grains are an excellent source of energy. Unless your doctor has recommended a wheat free diet, I don't think whole wheat is going to harm you. But mixing up the grains you eat is a good idea so your body can get nutrients froma wider selection of foods. Rice is pretty mild to a digestive system but make sure you cook it thoroughly -- not until it is mush, but it shouldn't be crunchy. A former room mate discovered that the hard way. You could try rye, barley and oatflakes for breakfast. Sweet potatoes are tasty and easy to prepare, similar to potatoes. Do you like green leafy vegetables? My familiy's favorites are collards, kale, chard, beet greens and mustard greens. After you wash the leaves of dirt and grit, pile the leaves and roll them up and chop into thin ribbons. Sauté in a bit of olive oil and garlic. Cooks in a few minutes.

Or lentils and canned beans. Eden's Organics makes their canned beans without salt. Great for soups, adding to salads, or add spices then serve with rice. As well, cooking from scratch is pretty straight forward, even more for lentils. Red lentils take about 20 minutes to cook from dry and are dead cheap.

Even omelets are considered healthy again. Beat a couple of eggs, pour into a hot frying pan and add some thinly sliced mushrooms, peppers and onions.

Variety of different foods starting from fresh ingredients will help keep you full and healthy.