Old 05-20-05, 06:43 AM
alison_in_oh
Focus on the future

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikabike
10 miles? Ah man? That's going to take forever. I just did my first 1.3 last Saturday and it felt like dying. Only 3 weeks ago I couldn't do more than .4
You've already tripled your distance once; just two more triplings and you'll be at 10.

And I know that you're working on speed at least a little, getting your legs pumping. It feels more productive that way I know, but try a ride where you focus on saving your legs to last as long as possible. Maybe even take your computer off so you don't think about speed or distance -- after all, you know approximately how long each lap is by now, so if you really want to keep track you can.

In fact, to give yourself a little variety, maybe you do want to alternate endurance and speed work. Just don't get carried away with the speed rides: don't push your body past aching into pain, and don't use up all your moxy so that you A) end up with a super-short ride or B) hurt too much the next day to go back out.

Another thought for leg strength stuff: if your knees are up to it, you might try some bodyweight squats, particularly on the days when the pollen and thunderstorms are too much to let you go outside. http://stumptuous.com/learnsquat.html