pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urban Assault
Find some good gloves. I had the same problem. It took some trial and error but i found some gloves that do the trick for me. I suppose gloves are a personal thing like saddles because I tried Specialized BG gloves but they only made it worse.

When you do find some that work for you, buy a few extra pair. I had some Pearl Izumi gloves that were perfect for my hands and wore them for a long time. I went to buy more but that model was redesigned and the new pair just were not the same.

Now my carpel tunnel only flares up when I am trying to play Steve Vai stuff, so I cannot play like that anymore...that's my story and I am sticking to it.
I am about as slow on the gtr as I am on a bike - no Steve Vai worries for me !!!

I have gotten away from those skinny fast 80s necks - The current trends towards clubby necks (ie, PRS wide fat) has helped me with playing....the extra wood supposedly helps support your hand.

My numbness (Ulnar, ring and pinky fingers mostly) actually usually occurs when I wake up in the early morning. A heavy Playing session after a layoff seems to aggrivate it, as does riding my hack 3-spd (no bar ends). When I can change hand positions while riding (my other bike has bar ends) I seem to do better. Funny someone mentioned the wrong gloves aggrivate it. I bought some recent specialized gloves with the ulnar pads - I like my old spec gloves (late 90s) with traditional padding better - that plus good cork tape seems to work ....

I know what to do to help (if not cure) the soreness/numbness.....just wondering about the connection with playing. I also suspect my issues are more upper body (neck/shoulder tension) which transmit down to the extremities.

My sister (and lots of other people I know) have the same ocasional tingling ginger ale hands first thing in the AM. btw, I don't **** around with my health - I went to a neurologist asap and got tested - no CTS, so that's ruled out, thank goodness.

The funniest story is how someone's playing was helped by biking! pretty cool!