Old 11-18-10, 06:54 PM
daisy101

Bikes: Raleigh DL-1 Lady Tourist 1978 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist 1978 Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how to tell if my Raleigh DL 1 Tourist is 100% Raleigh

I have some questions about a recent Raleigh DL -1 Tourist purchase. (1978 according to the hub)

I purchased two bikes: a lady's and a men's.

I purchased these bikes from someone who had a large collection of vintage bikes and someone who told me he often bikes in and brings back components from England.

I notice that the fenders of both bikes do not have the cream on the back. Is this normal?
The fenders on the men's bike do not match the sheen of the body of the bike. The fenders have rust and wear; the body is shiny
The body has a head badge; but not the gold raleigh lettering. The seller told me he removed the lettering because he did not like the 70s font (the lettering is intact on the lady's bike)
Today when we were riding, the men's seat post kept twisting and sinking despite being tightly fastened. (I did not have the same problem with my bike)
The men's bike has a full chain case which the seller told me he bought back from England. There are no identifying marks on the chain case, but it fits the frame (the frame without the Raleigh gold lettering) very well. I paid a premium for a bike with the chain case.

Could it be that some of the parts are not Raleigh? I understand that Raleigh and Yellow Jersey parts are not always interchangeable (for instance a Yellow Jersey chaincase most likely will be a bit too long for a Raleigh)

I also understand the components produced by Yellow Jersey may not have the same precision/tolerances as a Raleigh. Could this be why the seat post won't hold tight?

It seems a litmus test would be to see if the chain case off the men's bike would fit my lady's bike (the bike with the gold lettering intact)

What do you think? Do I have a frankenstein?