View Single Post
Old 11-18-10, 08:46 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I don't want to be an idiot, but sometimes it's hard to tell what that means.

I'm still using my MagicShine. I would like to carry on and yet do it in a way least likely to burn my house down or kill me.

If I charge the think on a large plate away from burnable stuff that enough to be considered "prudent"? Anything else?

I'd also like to know how many actual problems there have been. Is this s real issue, or a one-in-a-million problem?
There are couple of stuff that are worth mentioning. I think it is a good idea to periodically check the temperature of the cell/pack while it is charging. If at anytime they feel very warm or hot, that is a very good indication that cell/pack is going bad and maybe shorting out. Also feel the temp of your charger. That may indicate clue if the charger is going bad or being overworked.

You should not charge the pack when it is warm. That will only increase the chance of causing a fire during the charge cycle. So if say your pack was in direct sunlight on a hot day, then let it cool off indoor before charging.

Do not charge them with a charger that has a higher charging current output that is higher than the recomendation of the cell. A higher current charger will heat up a cell faster during charging.