Old 11-19-10, 04:00 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was car-free for 13 years in Toronto. Some problems just require a bit of creativity. With the bike, if the problem is with the wheel (e.g. broken spoke), just bring the wheel to the shop. Or walk and roll it if its the whole bike. Or if its close and say you have one snapped brake cable just ride slow/carefully. You can also take bikes on TTC any time it is not rush hour and not packed - the bus doesn't need a rack, you can bring on board.

Its useful in having bike as main transport to learn how to do basic repairs and acquire a few tools. CBN is great place to learn / get help (though not that close to you if you are far from downtown)

I'd say a cargo trailer would also be a worthwhile investment. Save money on taxis or car share. I never found a need to join car share - the hourly rates seemed expensive to me (of course cheaper than owning if you are using infrequently), if you need it more than a few hours its usually cheaper to get a traditional daily rental, and if its just to haul something if its relatively close by cab may be cheaper. The one time though I thought about it was when doing a lot of renos on the house. Was bringing back parts by bike (like a toilet in the trailer) or baseboard tied to the tube (a bit of an awkward ride). Most things that will fit in a car can be done by bike and trailer, but the nice thing about car share is they also have some trucks in their fleet.