View Single Post
Old 11-19-10, 10:23 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Was the 72 the smaller or larger front ring? :-)
Were you 48-36?

BTW, what did you learn about the chain sizing?
Uh, I used to run 82-72 chainrings, but now that I'm a year older I don't have the knees for it. So now I run 48-34 (after running 48-36 for a few decades). I like hills too because I have the gears for them but lower gears means not doing them as fast as Zipp.

Harris Cyclery says this about the SRAM PC-870:
Works with all derailleur systems except 9-/10-speed, including Shimano HG and IG. Includes a "Power Link" re-usable master link.

This is our main recommendation for bikes with 5-, 6-, 7- or 8-speed rear clusters.
From what I read in BF, the SRAM chains PC-830, 850, 870, and 890 are similar but differ mostly in what parts are nickel plated. The 870 got several recommendations from BF members as the sweet spot in the price range. It also comes with the SRAM Power Link, not a big deal considering how infrequently I separate a chain link but a convenience every so often. So that's what I went with. It sure looks pretty (still in the box), not like the old Regina gold chains but still bling-ish.