Old 11-20-10, 10:52 AM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it bad to spin an electric motor without it being on?

I'm looking at building an electric-assisted bike. I plan on running a chain directly from the motor to the rear hub, and I will be keeping the crank also attached to the rear hub.

Now say the batteries go dead or something and I have to pedal home. This will spin the motor at a decent RPM without it ever actually being on. Will this ruin the motor? Nub question I know, but I don't want to fry it the first time the batteries go dead. If spinning it will fry the motor, I guess I could just keep a master link in the chain, and if the batteries die I just pop the chain off and continue on.

I realize there are much better ways out there of making an e-bike, but currently I have $30 invested and all I need to get still is a new sprocket for the motor that matches bicycle tooth spacing(~$15). If there's another way of making an e-bike for less than $50 let me know. I'm using 2 12v motorcycle batteries for power. Everything else is off of various electric scooters that I got on freecycle. It is NOT a brushless motor.

Thanks