Old 11-21-10, 09:20 AM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Dave -

When I first got Sybil (yes I name my bikes) the front brake was good enough to stop with. The rear brake did not existent, at least not in this universe. Stupid me I assumed any ole brake pads would do. After trying two sets, I finally gave in and got the Continental Kool Stop pads. What a difference.

However, I'm going from a trike (that had a front brake only) to a two wheel bike (and I have the skinned knees to prove it) and so I'm not use to braking with both brakes.

I assumed I could brake only using the rear brake since it's pretty much stop and and go here and I'm not going very fast. I could do that easily with my Speed D7 but not with the R20.

When I first used the rear brake on the R20 I would skid to a stop. Not good. After checking and/or adjusting the brake levers, pads and the brake cable tension, I can brake a little more safely. However, I don't have the same rear brake stopping power of the Speed D7.

At this point I'm gonna have to learn to use both brakes with the R20.

The reach brake lever problem really concerned stopping with the rear brake alone. I had to pull extra hard to stop, which was hurting my hand after a while.

Since I'm now stopping using both brakes, I don't have to pull so hard on the brake levers.