Old 11-23-10, 04:34 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
FT, what would be the standard tube set for those kinds of Bikes. So all in .035": 1.125 seat tube and top tube, down tube?; Seat stay (there is the bontrager but isn't the upper end .058"? Chainstay, would .875 be the norm?

To be fair to frame forum, I try to keep the sass out of posts, but I may have torqued my comments a little to suggest that since one ought to be able to assemble. 028 with TIG (and it goes without saying with the orther methods, though I leave that up to them to say), that there was something a little silly about all this butted tubing. I wasn't serious or all that sassy, but I think the guy over there was going through hot flashes where one day he was all open to any post, or vehemently opposed to anything that wasn't best UK practices from 1950.
I think we all can be a bit brusque from time to time. We used 1-1/8 seat tube (that started SG then collared then bulged later, 1-1/4" top tube (also the bi-round) and 1-3/8" down tube. We did all the rears in 3/4X .035 but had issues with the bends where they were stretched a bit.

I get email from one of those frame building groups. Lots of good information. There certainly is a faction of folks going for maximum correctness.